Monday 12 December 2011

A Wicked Night Out


I clearly haven’t been to the theatre in ages; I had forgotten that during the intermission they sold ice cream. A lady stood at the front of the theatre yelling, ‘Ice cream! Ice cream!’ in an impressively loud voice. But one tiny, little tub cost more than £3, which is totally ridiculous. Safe to say, as a student, I didn’t buy any. It was during the intermission that I realised how tall the tall man really was. He had to be at least twice my size; I don’t understand how he sat comfortably in the cramped theatre chairs!

After a while I just couldn’t help thinking the intermission was really dragging on; I wanted the Second Act to start already! The First Act had finished on a cliff hanger, with Elphaba finally becoming the ‘Wicked Witch’. However, she was just made out to seem evil; it’s really the Wizard of OZ, a big shock I know!

The Second Act didn’t really have as many impressive songs as the first did, like many other musicals, it was more about the plot rather than the songs. But I was still very interested. The best bit about the Second Act was the involvement of the Scarecrow, the Tin Man, the Cowardly Lion, and Dorothy (though I find Dorothy really annoying, but I like Toto!) These characters are not at all like they are in the original book, they’ve all got their own twists and I think this makes them so much better (except Dorothy, she’s still a pain in the butt!)

Wicked was one of those things I just didn’t want to end. The finale was brilliant but I just wanted to watch it all over again. Thinking about it afterwards though, the ending wasn’t that brilliant for Glinda; she believes her best friend and her true love to be dead, whilst they run off together secretly alive. If something like that happened to me I would be pretty pissed off. I guess that’s why they call her the Good Witch; she’s always nice about everything. Maybe it would be an interesting idea to do an intervention about Glinda actually being evil?

Text Box: Word Count: 2127Even after all that, I still would rather be Glinda than Elphaba; she just has the better songs, the better personality, and definitely the better outfits!

No comments:

Post a Comment